Monday, January 17, 2011

10 Good Things on a Monday!

10 Good Things on a Monday is a weekly meme I am doing dedicated to every person's compulsive list-writing.  Every Monday we are going to make a list of 10 things that will cheer us up and help us tide over the whole week.


Here's how it works:

  1. Think of a particular group of good things you want to make a list on, does not necessarily have to be about books, e.g. your current book wish list, or your favorite book foods (you know, foods you love to eat while reading, if you're like me), or your favorite girly names, whatever you can think of, as long as it makes you feel good.
  2. If you have no ideas for a list, you can always visit my blog post to check out my theme for that week and you can take a cue from my list.
  3. Post your list on your blog, grab that cute ARGH button above and put it on your post too, so we'd know you're doing this meme.
  4. Leave the link for your post on my own 10 Good Things post for the week, if you see others doing it, comment too and let's share our good things with everybody.
  5. Everybody goes through the whole week happy!
----------

My 10 Good Things for this weekMy Favorite Fairy Tales

I'm sorry this came out a bit late.  I've been swamped with a lot of stuff lately, but at least I can still find time to blog so it's worth it.  I've been fascinated with fairy tales for as long as I can remember, and I recall when my mother bought me the complete works of Hans Christian Andersen I was on cloud nine because he wrote most of my favorite stories.  
 
Here we go with my favorites:
 
  1. The Wild Swans by Hans Christian Andersen - this I think is my ultimate favorite fairy tale.  It's about a princess with eleven brothers who were turned into swans by their wicked stepmother, and the princess was tasked to sew shirts out of nettles that will turn her brothers back to humans.   I so loved this story, especially when I saw a cartoon adaptation.
  2. The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen - although the Disney version is cute and had typical 'happily ever after' ending, I still preferred the real ending by the author, where the mermaid dies and becomes a daughter of the air.
  3. The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen - this one is about a young girl who travels to the Snow Queen's kingdom in order to save her friend.
  4. The Princess and the Pea by Hans Christian Andersen - I remembered that after reading this for the first time, I tried to put a small pea under several blankets and my mattress and was so dejected after I could not feel the pea.  I was so disappointed that I was not a real princess! 
  5. The Red Shoes by Hans Christian Andersen - I was curious about the title of this one and found it a bit depressing but nevertheless entertaining.
  6. The Frog Prince by the Brothers Grimm - I think most would agree when I say that this is one of the funniest fairy tales ever.
  7. Cinderella - who knew that this was a Greek folk tale recorded by the historian Strabo in the first century B.C.?  Awesome.
  8. Puss in Boots by Charles Perrault - this is also a big favorite of mine.  I really thought it was fun to read, and I almost had my then cat wear boots!  
  9. How the Killing of the Old Men was Stopped - this story had a lot of variations from different countries but this Serbian fairy tale was very touching.
  10. The Giant Who had No Heart in His Body - I loved the adventure in this story.  
There you have it, my Good Things for this week!  Have a great new week everyone!




7 comments:

  1. I haven't read The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen but I've always love the Disney movie of it. I'm planning on buying fairytale books, I'll definitely add this one up. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add that and The Wild Swans, they're really great :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice list! I love fairy tales. You are so cute with putting a pea under your mattress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was cute, but I was so disappointed that I was not a real princess. My dad even promised to get me a tiara so I could become a princess and I remembered I told him he doesn't need to do that anymore because I would only be a fake princess. The things kids do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha that's alright Nina, you can be our princess! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Lah! Let's all be princesses :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome event! Here's my list! http://thinkingcat.blogspot.com/2011/01/ten-good-things.html

    ReplyDelete

I just have to tell you, ARGH feeds on awesomeness, so if you can, drop him some awesome here, and I promise to give some awesome back :D

Right now, because of my really busy schedule, I'm cutting back on receiving awards. So until further notice, me and ARGH would not be accepting awards. But thank you for thinking of us, we really appreciate it!