Friday, December 31, 2010

A Stranger in the Mirror by Sidney Sheldon

(Photo taken from Goodreads)

Title: A Stranger in the Mirror
Author:  Sidney Sheldon
Publisher:  Grand Central Publishing
Language: English
ISBN-10:  0446356573
ISBN-13:  978-0446356572
Rating:
 






This book is amazing-blah-amazing.  I know it sounds confusing, but read on, and I'll explain to you as best as I can.

According to Goodreads
"Toby Temple is a superstar, the world's funniest man. He gets any woman that he wants, but under the superstar image is a lonely man. Jill Castle is a sensuous starlet. She has a dark and mysterious past and has an ambition even greater than Toby's. Together they rule Hollywood."
This story builds its momentum with meticulous precision, snappy dialogue, and slow-but-gripping pace.  The back story is a bit long, but necessary to understand the whole story, and in my opinion, it was the best part of this book.  I learned a lot about all the characters, that I was able to form an attachment for Toby and Jill for their similar struggles and sacrifices.  I laughed with them, cried with them, got mad with them, and dreamed with them.  I loved them.

Reading further, I thought it would deepen the connection I felt between these characters.  For Toby, it certainly did, seeing all his efforts finally paying off.  However, for Jill, I suddenly felt like I did not know her anymore.  Gone is the down-to-earth Jill full of hope.  Replacing her is a mean and vicious woman, out to get everyone that put her down in the past.  I'm afraid to say that although I was behind her every step of her struggles, I was not very pleased with this development in her character and really began to resent her.  Maybe that is what the author wanted, to have the readers really connecting with the characters and then either understanding or shunning this unfavorable change in Jill's character.  Maybe that means the author has really written a story with really relatable characters that have distinguishable personalities and definitive backgrounds. 

With regard to the story, I really have no problem with it except that it dragged towards the middle and I had a bit of difficulty pushing through its slow pace.  I was rewarded, however, with an enriching experience when the story built into its climax and resolution.  I loved how it turned out, even if it does seem tragic and sad.  But for me, I was completely satisfied with how things played out in the end, I was totally vindicated with my sudden dislike for Jill, and not wanting to inadvertently put in a spoiler here, I am thoroughly content.  To understand what happened, you better grab a copy of this book.
 
 ----------

This will definitely be the last post for this blog this year, and ARGH and I would like to greet everyone a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR!  We wish that 2011 will be a fabulously-awesome year for all of us!
 


    1 comment:

    1. I read some Sidney Sheldon years ago and remember liking it. You make this one sound like a total page-turner, so I'm off to check it out!

      Hope you have a great New Year's!

      ReplyDelete

    I just have to tell you, ARGH feeds on awesomeness, so if you can, drop him some awesome here, and I promise to give some awesome back :D

    Right now, because of my really busy schedule, I'm cutting back on receiving awards. So until further notice, me and ARGH would not be accepting awards. But thank you for thinking of us, we really appreciate it!