Saturday, December 11, 2010

Bloodline by Sidney Sheldon

(Photo taken from Amazon)

Title: Bloodline
Author: Sidney Sheldon
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Language: English
ISBN - 10: 0446357448
ISBN - 13: 978-0446357449
Rating:









All of us dream of somehow inheriting a vast fortune, but for Elizabeth Roffe, this inheritance comes with an invisible enemy. Inheriting Roffe Industries after her father's mysterious death, things start happening that convinces Elizabeth that someone, or some people, are trying to take over her fortune - even if it means taking her life.

If the above plot has not moved you yet, then you probably have problems. The first few pages of this book is strongly gripping, forcing you to turn the pages and read it in one sitting. The ugly duckling to graceful swan that is Elizabeth's life is magical and full of beautiful imagery, her relationship with her stoic father very realistic and sympathetic. Fast-paced and dripping with exciting dialogue, this book will lead you on a thrilling roller coaster ride, only to have the ride stop at the top of the highest loop, the operator telling you that the ride is over.

What happened to Elizabeth's cousins? To the other characters? I can't believe that a book with so much promise could end so utterly disappointing. Yes, it did solve the mysteries but it just fell flat. The author has created such vivid characters that one would think they would each be given endings befitting their flamboyance. I would have thought that great character development + original plot + sharp dialogue + brilliant author = smashing novel. But I was wrong, glaringly, stupidly wrong. Without giving away a spoiler, I would have thought that the discovery of the bad guy would be more complicated than what happened. It's so disappointing to learn that while guessing whodunit, it turns out, it's not even worth knowing, as this book is hardly worth reading. Flat, flat, flat.

Obviously, I am very bitter about the ending, hence the low rating. But bad ending aside, this book is a superb story of maturity, love, wisdom, dysfunctional families, coveted fortunes, and gruesome murders and attempted murders. The author's storytelling is excellent, letting the reader see for him/herself what happens in each chapter, letting the reader feel and not just know, each word's impact in this story. I tried to get past the throng of questions and unresolved issues I had with the ending and the characters, but I just can't. I felt that it ruined the whole book for me. If you can be satisfied with how this turned out, then I admire you. Maybe it's my 'impatient reader' attribute kicking in again.

If you're planning to read this book, go ahead. As I say over and over again, preference is relative. What may be dull and flat for me may be the most exciting for another person. After all, I have seen a number of good reviews on this book, I just can't be swayed by other people's opinion. Maybe I'm just a stubborn ox.

8 comments:

  1. hi! nice review! i haven't read any of his books. but i always see his titles on different bookstores. i want to try and read one of his books. what do you think is the best one to start off with Nina?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and finally, i was able to follow your blog!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi good review. I have read a few of his books (not this one though) and have really liked them. My favourite is Rage of Angels, I would recommend that book to anyone.

    Cheers!!!

    http://j9books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruperto: Yay! I'd suggest The Naked Face for some murder mystery action, and The Stranger in the Mirror for drama.

    J-9: Thank you, glad you like it. I haven't read Rage of Angels yet, might add that to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant! I sooo enjoy your reviews Nina, although I still want to read the book even though you gave it a not so good rating. Will check it out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Must be an enjoyable read Bloodline by Sidney Sheldon. loved the way you wrote it. I find your review very genuine and original, this book is going in by "to read" list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i completely agree with ur review.. i just finished reading "bloodline" and the feeling is mutual..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved reading every page of the book, till i reached the end and looked for further pages, i was highly dissapointed.. A story with so much promise and such a dry ending.

    ReplyDelete

I just have to tell you, ARGH feeds on awesomeness, so if you can, drop him some awesome here, and I promise to give some awesome back :D

Right now, because of my really busy schedule, I'm cutting back on receiving awards. So until further notice, me and ARGH would not be accepting awards. But thank you for thinking of us, we really appreciate it!