Friday, December 3, 2010

Quirky Mashups: Yay or Nay?

So I in the bookstore a few days ago, while looking at books, I found this:

(Photo taken from The Girly Nerds)

I gasped out loud. My favorite, my beautiful, beautiful Anna Karenina has been infected by the Quirk Classic mania!

Apart from that I also found the following titles:

(Photo taken from The Girly Nerds)

Half-shocked, half laughing, I went and read their blurbs. They still have the same synopsis, but an addition of curious creatures and events are included. Mashups combine a pre-existing text, often a classic work of fiction, with a certain popular genre such as vampire, zombie, or werewolf narratives. I actually said out loud, "Twilight has invaded the classics!" A couple of people looked at me strangely like I ate a live chicken in front of them. I was thinking, why would they do such a thing to these beautiful books? Is this another ploy to cash in on the paranormal mania? Or is this a creative way to pull the younger audience to reading the classics, since not a few young people right now do not even know about Anna Karenina (in the Philippines they think that's a popular television show way back), or Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet, and a hundred or so other characters that they should be learning about, instead of how to pout their lips the right way when taking pictures (which I think MAY also be useful, just not that essential).

I haven't read a Quirk Classic yet, but I might try to pick one up one of these days. But I don't think I can face getting Android Karenina. It just totally feels like I'm betraying my favorite Anna. I do hope that it's something that I would really savor, since the books cost a bit more than my average find. Until then, I will keep hoping that these books are not just out to "milk the vampire cow" hence the cost, but to actually educate the public about these classics.

What about you? What do you think of these quirky mashups?

2 comments:

  1. I bought Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, but I still haven't read it yet. I need to read the original first. I think it sounds intriguing. Of course, nothing can surpass the original, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also bought pride prejudice and zombies and I loved it. I think these mash ups are just a way of spicing thing up and well it lives up to it!

    ReplyDelete

I just have to tell you, ARGH feeds on awesomeness, so if you can, drop him some awesome here, and I promise to give some awesome back :D

Right now, because of my really busy schedule, I'm cutting back on receiving awards. So until further notice, me and ARGH would not be accepting awards. But thank you for thinking of us, we really appreciate it!