Thursday, December 23, 2010

Do You Have A Background Music?


I was looking for new Christmas songs that I could listen to without getting a thousand different versions of Let It Snow when I came across Owl City's Christmas Song.  When I listened to it, I found myself recalling lines, images, and pages from Dash and Lily's Book of Dares involuntarily.  I always said that reading a Levithan work (even a collaboration) makes me play a background music in my head, and I used to hear December 2 Chapter VII while reading Dash and Lily.  But when I heard this Christmas song, I felt that it was even more perfect because yes, the story of Dash and Lily happen during the holidays and Lily loves Christmas, Dash hates it, all the more making this song appropriate. 

Listen to it, to see what I mean:


I did not want a video with visuals, might interfere with the images from the book that come rushing in my head.

But even if I'm not reading a Levithan book, I still hear music while reading a book sometimes, especially if it's really good and really gets into me.  While reading When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead I heard Polite Dance Song by The Bird and the Bee.  When I was reading Wintergirls, I was hearing What It Feels Like for a Girl by Madonna.  As for what I'm currently reading, for Delirium I hear The Time by the Black Eyed Peas.  Okay, so it's not that appropriate, especially with the "dirty bit" thingy interrupting my thoughts every now and then, but that's what my brain plays and I can't do anything about it, unless I could get brain surgery, and I wouldn't want that.

How about you?  Do you associate any book with a particular music?  If you do, what song do you play in your head for what you're reading now?

3 comments:

  1. I just wanted to mention that I am completely obsessed with Owl City. But nope I can't think of any background music for the books I read! You've got me curious to see if I can think of some though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg to follow up on what I said previously on this post, I have background music all the time now! I started a Music Monday meme on my blog too! And now that I've read Dash and Lily, I totally agree that this song is perfect! Omg you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! It was really really perfect, I could almost imagine Dash and Lily walking together with that big dog along that street before that whole 'flying baby' thing happened :D

    ReplyDelete

I just have to tell you, ARGH feeds on awesomeness, so if you can, drop him some awesome here, and I promise to give some awesome back :D

Right now, because of my really busy schedule, I'm cutting back on receiving awards. So until further notice, me and ARGH would not be accepting awards. But thank you for thinking of us, we really appreciate it!