Friday, May 20, 2011

Awesome Author: Interview with LM Preston, (Bandits, The Pack, Explorer-X Alpha)

This really Awesome Author we are featuring today is a big sci-fi fan and has written some really exciting sci-fi books for young adults.  Read on and find out about Ms. LM Preston, as she talks about her newest book, Bandits, being an engineer (wow!), and the influence her daughters has lent to her books.
 

Ms. Preston is actually the first author to offer me a print ARC!  I read and reviewed Bandits which I thought could become a really cool video game (to all video game developers:  hint, hint!).  I loved the story and the really fantastic world she has created in the story.

Why sci-fi?

Truthfully, it's all that comes out of me. It allows me to break down the boundaries of real life and create a world completely and utterly my own. I'm an engineer and I build amazing systems that do really cool things, but it's a tedious process and I rarely ever see projects that I've started to completion. However, when I write a sci-fi novel, my creations come to life.


Bandits is filled with these strange, fascinating creatures and places.  How did you come up with them?


Bandits is truly a book I've wanted to write for a long time. My son asked me to write a pirate book and I was excited because I knew I could get really gritty and creative with it. The world I created in Bandits is based on my love for Hawaii and all the wondrous things I've seen while visiting there. Of course I added my own twist born from my love of horror, sci-fi, twisted tales, fantasy and all kinds of things from my previous nightmares. It took me a month to sketch places together from my pictures in Hawaii. Funny thing is, Nickel's journey in the dark water cave came from my own personal experience touring water caves with my daughter - and let me tell you, I got as freaked out as Nickel did.

You seem to have a bit of a soft spot for Nickel.  Is he based on any real person you know?

Well, I'd say Nickel has distinct characteristics of my youngest daughter. Nickel is extremely loyal, hopeful and always sees the good in others. My youngest daughter is actually his age. Shhh, don't tell her.

What is your favorite sci-fi book and movie, and why?

My favorite sci-fi book is
I AM ROBOT, the movie just didn't do it justice. Also, the Star Ship Trooper series is another. My favorite sci-fi movie is ALIENS (the second one).

When you were younger, did becoming a writer come up in your future plans?  Like, "I want to become a writer when I grow up."?  If not, what did you dream of becoming?

Actually, I wanted to be a teacher when I grew up. However, I wrote all of the time. I loved writing poetry, short stories, snarky diary commentary and songs.

Do you have any strange rituals that you have to do before writing?


Oh, I have no rituals. I wish I did. Now eating chocolate - very bad habit, but I usually nibble on some while writing. I do have this weird habit of typing with my eyes closed so I stay in the story.


How do you deal with negative reviews?

Negative reviews - let me just say, I'm an engineer. As an engineer I stand up in front of quite a few people weekly and let them rip my designs apart. It's even harder taking negative reviews in person, but the years of doing it have taught me to sift through the mean words to find nuggets to help myself improve. Also, I remind myself that it was 'negative' reviews that made me curious enough to pick up my first
Harry Potter book :-D

What do you love most about writing?

Writing relaxes me. When I was younger I used to pretend I was someone else many times. I love writing because for the time I'm in the story I feel as though I'm able to switch bodies, places, and abilities with someone completely different.
 It's the most freeing experience I can imagine.  

There is a generalization that sci-fi fans are also techno and gadget geeks (is this really true?).  What is one gadget you are most proud of and could not live without?

As a sci-fi fan I am a bit of a gadget geek. Since my day gig is an Engineer. My favorite gadget that is a real life geeky gadget is my nook.


A fire broke out in your house's kitchen, what is the first thing you will save?


Nothing, I'd run.


The fire now reaches your library.  What are five books you will save?


My Stephen King and Dean Koontz books.


Before we wrap up this interview, any message for your readers?

Remember, your destiny is what you make it. In life you get lot's of 'No's' but you have the power to make your own YES! That's what I try to convey through my writing. I'm a product of that and I know if I can make my own yes, anyone can. 
 

Thank you so much for doing this interview, LM!

-----

To find out more about LM, check her out on the following websites:



1 comment:

  1. What an interesting interview! That's so cool how LM Preston will close her eyes while typing to help stay in the story. I also really like her answer for why she chose to write about sci-fi. It's so unique and really mixes her writing with her everyday life. Thanks for the awesome interview!

    ReplyDelete

I just have to tell you, ARGH feeds on awesomeness, so if you can, drop him some awesome here, and I promise to give some awesome back :D

Right now, because of my really busy schedule, I'm cutting back on receiving awards. So until further notice, me and ARGH would not be accepting awards. But thank you for thinking of us, we really appreciate it!