Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Armchair BEA Day 2: The Best of 2011


Tuesday's Armchair BEA is all about the books we loved from 2011.  In my opinion, the year is not yet halfway so I cannot really say that I already have an ultimate favorite, and besides, I haven't gotten around to most of my 2011-released books yet.  

But though that may be the case, there have been some 2011 releases I've read that really blew me away and let me share their awesomeness with you:


These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf - This book was given to me via Random Acts of Kindness hosted by The Book Soulmates.  I have been watching out for this book long before its release and I was so excited to be able to read it, and for free!  Thank you so much Ash from The English Major's Junk Food for sending me a copy.  

But it's not just because I got it free that I loved it.  The story was very emotional and multidimensional.  Every character had their own story but they all came full circle in the end.  It was very touching and riveting and really, it blew me away!

Bandits by LM Preston - This was an ARC copy given to me by the author, LM Preston, who was so nice and so awesome.  This book was nothing like I'd expected - it could have been a video game!  It was so exciting, action-packed, and fast-paced that I really felt my pulse and my respirations increase as I turned the pages.


Diagnosis Death by Richard Mabry, MD - this was another book that blew me away.  I loved medical fiction because I'm a nurse and although health care has been on my mind for most of the day, it's interesting to read about the drama behind the scenes.  What's more exciting is that this book was part of the Prescription for Trouble series by the same author that showcased other equally amazing books.  Richard Mabry, a retired physician, was able to breathe life into his books and it was really awesome how he was able to effectively evoke fear within the readers' minds with scenes as simple as looking out a window.  It was awesome!

Where She Went by Gayle Forman - I loved Adam from the first book, If I Stay, and I was obsessing about what would happen next with Mia so I couldn't wait to get my hands on this book.  I did not even wait to get my own copy, when I saw this on a friend's shelf, I immediately asked to borrow it and finished it in one sitting.  The next day, my own copy arrived :D






And just because I want to, here are books from 2011 that I have on my shelf and can't wait read:


The Big Crunch by Pete Hautman - I crossed the line between book lovin' and book addiction for this one and bought this at a staggeringly high price but I know it will be so worth it!


Slice of Cherry by Dia Reeves - I have Bleeding Violet, the first Twisted novel and I was so curious about this one as well, I jumped when I saw this on display at my favorite book store.


The Mountains Bow Down by Sibella Giorello - This was sent to me via Booksneeze and I'm pretty sure this will be so enjoyable!

And for everyone who's attending the real BEA, I just want to let you know that Steve Piacente, author of the awesome book Bella has set up a booth, number 4780.  Visit his booth, I promise you won't be disappointed, especially when you can get his book at a special price of USD10.00!  He told me so!


13 comments:

  1. Great choices! I can't wait to read Where She Went and I'm very curious about Slice of Cherry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slice of cherry *does* look awesome. great picks!!

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where She Went was great. Slice of Cherry is on my TBR :)
    My Best of 2011 List

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Nina...thanks for stopping by my blog and entering. I loved If I Stay have not read the second yet.

    And speaking of brushing up on my reading, I'm _always_ on the look out for good recommends to pass on to my adult patrons at the library (and read my own self, now if only there was a 48 hour day!)...thanks for sharing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard nothing but good things about These Things Hidden. I definitely need to read that one. The Slice of Cherry book looks really cool, too, and that cover is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi again. I enjoyed your list. I think Where She Went sounds interesting. May have to check it out. I haven't heard of any of the others on your list. Will stop by again. Hope you have a great BEA week.

    My Best Books List & Bestseller Giveaways

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to read If I Stay and Where She Went are two books I definitely can't wait to read.

    My top 5 "Best Of 2011" books!

    Rebecca @ kindle fever

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked Where She Went, too. It made me love Adam even more. :) I haven't heard of some of the others, though. I'll have to look into them.
    New follower.
    kathy from Read This Instead

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard of any of those books, but I looked up Where She Went and it does look good.

    My post is now up. http://beckysbarmybookblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/armchair-bea-best-of-2011.html

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, glad you liked my Top 10 Monday post. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read Gudenkauf's other novel and enjoyed it. I'll look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I'm reading These Things Hidden right now! I think it's good, but some things just don't appeal to me. I like the storyline though and it's definitely interesting. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting mix of choices, sounds great.

    My post is here with giveaway.

    http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2011/05/armchair-bea-best-of-2011-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. These things hidden sounds so awesome to me, adding it to my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete

I just have to tell you, ARGH feeds on awesomeness, so if you can, drop him some awesome here, and I promise to give some awesome back :D

Right now, because of my really busy schedule, I'm cutting back on receiving awards. So until further notice, me and ARGH would not be accepting awards. But thank you for thinking of us, we really appreciate it!