Monday, May 23, 2011

Armchair BEA Day 1: This is How I Blog

Hello there!  You're here for the Armchair BEA?  Well, me too!  So come on, lean back on your seats and let's talk!

I'm Nina, I'm 25 years old, and the reason I could not go to this year's BEA is because I'm all the way from the Philippines *doing my best Rachel Berry voice* "where it's sunny all day!"  So no matter how much I really want to, I just can't drop everything and hop on the next plane to New York.  I'm a nurse, by the way, and as much as I love my job, I get a kick out of reading books more.

Helping me stir things up on my blog is this cute monster ARGH, a real book-loving creature I just picked up one day on the side of the road.  He provides most of the fun, and says most of the crazy things I myself could not bring myself to speak of. 

You are aware that he's just a figment of my imagination, right?  So you won't be bothering me with questions whether he has his own email, or who is the real person behind this green abomination.

As you can imagine, I like to draw.  When I was not yet blogging about books, I used to spend all my time reading and drawing pictures.  This really helped me in making some really unique posts on my blog now because it makes things more interesting.  I'm a very visual person and nothing attracts me more than a good picture.

This is a picture I did for my first About a Book in Four Pictures post.


 These are some pictures I drew when I was not yet book blogging:


My silly bears


As for my favorite books, I really do not have a particular genre I love, as long as the story gets to me, I read it, no matter if it's YA or historical, or a classic.  Sometimes, even dystopians, sci-fi, and paranormal fiction make my day and they're not even my most favorite genres out there.  I do not like series much, but there are also times that I suddenly fall in love with a whole series.  I would love to enumerate my favorite books, but that would take all day; besides, it feels like I'm picking a favorite among my children, and I don't want to be that kind of parent.  So instead of telling you about my favorite books, let me just give you a 10-Good-Things-on-a-Monday-like list and tell you about ten books that I am looking forward on reading:
  1. The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan
  2. Entwined by Heather Dixon
  3. Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante
  4. The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon
  5. The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld
  6. Walking on Broken Glass by Christa Allan
  7. Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde
  8. Other Words for Love by Lorraine Zago Rosenthal
  9. The John Cleaver Series by Dan Wells (I know that's three books but they're all part of a series, and I consider that to be just one long book chopped into three :D)
  10. Leverage by Joshua C. Cohen
Too bad, I can't just go into a bookstore and get all of them.

So, that's it for me, now it's your turn to tell me all about yourselves as we spend time together in Armchair BEA :D



6 comments:

  1. Great to know! I love drawing too, when I'm not reading I draw :)...I really want to read Entiwined too :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Armchair BEA blogger- love that pic.lol. I have co -workers that once lived in the phillipines and when they return to visit they take plenty of AVon that they purchase from my daughter. They like it here better. They always buy her the prettiest knee length blouse ( no buttons)or tunic. happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your blog, it's quirky and cute. I am just now loving dystopian novels. It took a minute it to wear on me. Hope to stay connected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog, Nina! Nice to meet you!

    http://yalitwit.blogspot.com/2011/05/introducing-me-armchair-bea-kick-off.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanna say your blog is going to make be laugh so I became a follower! And I love 10 good things on a Monday!
    Armchair BEA: About Us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI, great to know more about the person behind the blog.

    Really, Argh's not real? I'm so upset now, my illusion has been shattered *cries and huddles up*

    Your drawings are great. :)

    You've seen my bookshelves, but now you can find out more about the person behind the shelves and blog. My intro post is now up here:

    http://beckysbarmybookblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/armchair-bea-kickoff-who-am-i.html

    hope to see you and argh there. :D

    ReplyDelete

I just have to tell you, ARGH feeds on awesomeness, so if you can, drop him some awesome here, and I promise to give some awesome back :D

Right now, because of my really busy schedule, I'm cutting back on receiving awards. So until further notice, me and ARGH would not be accepting awards. But thank you for thinking of us, we really appreciate it!