You all know how crazy I am for Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan. Believe it or not, every time I see a post about that book, I'll make it a point to read it, though I don't comment much (sorry, I'll try to improve on that). But there was this one time, when I saw Chachic's - of Chachic's Book Nook - book review of Dash and Lily - , I discovered this awesome, awesome book cover, which she said was the Aussie edition. ARGH and I loved it, but I told him I still liked the US version. So we decided to do a Small Review and make a 'Cover Crazy'-like comparison (argument) between the two.
Here's what we're talking about:
I said that I liked the U.S. cover better because:
- It's the cover of my own Dash and Lily copy.
- It's red, which reminds me of the red notebook they passed back and forth.
- It gives you that Christmas-y aura and the feeling that you are getting a piece of New York, those things reminded me of their adventure through passing the red notebook back and forth. For me, that Book of Dares was what made Dash and Lily's relationship special because really, how often do you meet a person through a notebook in a bookstore? Dash and Lily may be different and under ordinary circumstances would never think of hooking up, so making them come together is romantic enough, but it only gets more awesome and book worthy because they met in a totally unique way, knowing and understanding each other before they actually met.
On the other hand, ARGH liked the Aussie cover because:
- It features a caricature of Dash and Lily which shows how different they are from each other. That makes ARGH appreciate more how these two teenagers who are worlds apart in their personalities and backgrounds come together.
- The sketch enforces the visual he has of Dash and Lily in his mind and helps him think clearly and empathize more with the characters because the picture helps him think that they are actual persons.
- He is crazy for bright colors, which attracts a lot of attention especially for monsters like him.
So there you go, can you help me and ARGH settle this discussion once and for all? Which do you like better, the U.S. or the Aussie cover? Are you with ARGH or with me?