Monday, April 11, 2011

10 Good Things on a Monday: Ten Books I Must Read Pronto!

10 Good Things on a Monday is a weekly feature  I am doing dedicated to every person's compulsive list-writing.  Every Monday we are going to make a list of 10 things that will cheer us up and help tide us over the whole week.


Here's how it works:
  1. Think of a particular group of good things you want to make a list on, does not necessarily have to be about books, e.g. your current book wish list, or your favorite book foods (you know, foods you love to eat while reading, if you're like me), or your favorite girly names, whatever you can think of, as long as it makes you feel good.
  2. If you have no ideas for a list, you can always visit my blog post to check out my theme for that week and you can take a cue from my list.
  3. Post your list on your blog, grab that cute ARGH button above and put it on your post too, so we'd know you're doing this meme.
  4. Leave the link for your post on my own 10 Good Things post for the week, if you see others doing it, comment too and let's share our good things with everybody.
  5. Everybody goes through the whole week happy!
----------

My 10 Good Things for this weekTen Books I Must Read Pronto!

I know, I already featured my book wish list here before, but as time passes, the wish list changes as I already get the books I want and find new ones to crush on. 

So here you go:

1.  Hate List by Jennifer Brown - I kept saying that I would love to read this book but I can't seem to find a copy in bookstores around my area.  Will try to widen my search :D

 2.  Hold Still by Nina LaCour - I was thinking of reading Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher when I suddenly came upon this book.  I would like to read both of them and compare them with each other.


3.  One Day by David Nicholls - I am a fan of unique story presentations, and telling us the story of what happens between two people through showing us what happened to them to that particular day every year seem cool.  I would really like to see how the author pulls it off.

 
4.  The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan - What can I say?  I am a fan of David Levithan therefore I should get to read this book.  Period.


5.  The Big Crunch by Pete Hautman - I actually learned about this book through David Levithan's Facebook fan page.  I looked it up and was intrigued by the plot. 


6.  Killing Britney by Sean Olin - I like reading the occasional thrillers and killers so I would like to pick up a copy of this.  


7.  Where She Went by Gayle Forman - because I read If I Stay!


8.  Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde - I'm not a big fan of dystopian and sci-fi novels but sometimes, there are books from those genres that just won't be ignored.  And that book cover looks awesome.


9.  The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon - I read The Angel's Game and this is actually the first book that mentioned the Cemetery of Forgotten Books.  


10.  Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante - I read Still Alice by Lisa Genova and fell in love with it.  This is another book that uses Alzheimer's as part of the plot but with a very different approach.  So excited to read this!

What do you think?  Are these books good choices or should I sack some of them?  You can tell me what you think, even give me a few recommendations if you like.  Plus, if you would like me to read a review that you've written about any of the books mentioned, you can also tell me about it.
Have an awesome Monday!  What are your good things?

19 comments:

  1. I have 'One Day' on my TBR pile. Been there for a while, not my usual sort of book, but I keep being drawn to it. Looks different and interesting. You'll probably finish it before I do, so i'll look out for your review.

    Will post my 10 things tomorrow (still 11 pm Sunday where I am)

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nina, have come to you through 10 Good Things on someone else's blog...don't ask me who, I lost the trail! :-)

    Am hoping to link up if my blog plays ball.

    You must read One Day - it's one of my favourites - a really, really good read - it's funny, touching and so well planned out.

    And The Shadow of the Wind is fast becoming a classic - a gripping read. You've just reminded me about The Angel's Game, it's been sitting on my bookshelf for months!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great list! I have read two (The Lover's Dictionary and Where She Went) and I completely recommend both. I am really wanting to read Hate List someday and you definitely caught my interest with Hold Still. In terms of top ten I want to read... well I own so many books right now that I've got ten like that still on my shelves. Still, there are worse problems to have ;)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, I completely agree about Nobel Genes, I was so disappointed by the last third of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One Day and Shadow of the Wind are GREAT. Shadow of the Wind is much better than Angel's Game, IMO (and I did enjoy Angel's Game, but SOTW was just incredible.)

    Hope you're able to read them all soon and enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Shadow of the Wind and Angel's Game are both fun interesting well written novels. I have posted on both of them on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have lots of those in my TBR too! Can't wait to see what you think of them!

    http://www.thinkingcatblog.com/2011/04/whos-ready-for-monday.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh - great topic! I might have to snaffle this list idea for next week! I really enjoyed "One Day" although I never managed to finish "Shadow of the Wind"!!
    Here are my good things for this Monday:
    http://thebookgatherer.blogspot.com/2011/04/10-good-things-on-monday-childrens.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, managed to do it! Yay! Go, me!

    Hope I haven't lowered the tone of your hop too much... Here's my post:

    http://princecharmingmyarse.wordpress.com/2011/04/11/nine-men-i-wouldnt-kick-out-of-bed-for-eating-crisps-and-one-for-irene/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oops! Meant to say, Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. One Day is such a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Found your blog over at Prince Charming, my arse! This looks like a fun Monday meme!

    ReplyDelete
  12. finally got my list up.

    http://beckysbarmybookblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/10-good-things-on-monday-9.html

    have a great week. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great list Nina! I've been wanting to read If I Stay for about two weeks now. I'm looking forward to your review of Where She Went now. Great choices!

    Here's mine: http://amateurvoicekp.blogspot.com/2011/04/10-good-things-on-monday_11.html :3

    ReplyDelete
  14. some of those look interesting!
    http://menarethattheymighthavejoy.blogspot.com/2011/04/10-things-monday.html

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for visiting my blog...which titles were you curious about?

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Big Crunch was a great book. Pete Hautman's voice for both June and Wes are really poignant and feel like real teenagers.

    David Levithan is his editor, and when he recommended the book on his blog, I knew I had to read it.

    Speaking of David Levithan, The Lover's Dictionary is beautiful. The actual story is a little jarred but the lyrical definitions are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Redo:
    The Time Traveler's Wife--A friend loaned me the book...said it was much better than the movie (which is no surprise)...and that I should keep the kleenex handy.

    Disarming the Narcissist--the subtitle is Surviving and Thriving with the Self Absorbed; if you know what Narcissism or Narcissitic Personality Disorder is...then this book will make more sense. This will be the next book I read, after I finish reading Narcissistic Lovers for the 2nd time (i'm making notes this time around). It's something I've recently discovered I have lived with for 20 years.

    Addicted to Love--kind of related to the Narcissism subject in that "victims" (I prefer the word survivor) tend to be or have co dependent tendencies, which can manifest as an addiction

    The 5 Love Languages--this is by Gary Chapman, a well known relationship author/speaker...I believe this book is to help men/women learn the most effective way to communicate with each other. I bought this last year in my efforts to save my marriage (before I discovered how hopeless that was due to the suspected Narcissism). Haven't read it...not sure when i will.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great choices. HATE LIST goes right up there on the top ten books I read this year. I looooved that book so much. I hope you get to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete

I just have to tell you, ARGH feeds on awesomeness, so if you can, drop him some awesome here, and I promise to give some awesome back :D

Right now, because of my really busy schedule, I'm cutting back on receiving awards. So until further notice, me and ARGH would not be accepting awards. But thank you for thinking of us, we really appreciate it!