Friday, November 26, 2010

Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan


(Photo taken from the Barnes and Noble website)

Title: Boy Meets Boy
Author: David Levithan
Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf
Language: English
ISBN - 10:
0375832998
ISBN - 13:
978-0375832994
Rating
:







This is a story about a gay teenager named Paul who lives in a town where every person is allowed to be whomever they want to be. Not really gay utopia, as there are also some who are not happy with things as they stand, but as in Paul's words: "There isn’t really a gay scene or a straight scene in our town. They got all mixed up a while back, which I think is for the best." Which it really is. The author has painted a wonderful picture of a place where it's okay to be anything you want to be, that the only thing that separates you from your dreams is your belief in yourself, and your capacity to make things happen. This story also showed that, gay or no, friendship and love are two very complicated things, and that every person must know how to handle something so precious. When Paul begins to fall for Noah, a new kid in school, things get problematic when his ex Kyle, begins to reach out to him and wants to get back together. On the other hand, Paul and Joni's friendship is put to the test when Joni starts to go out with a person whom Paul and their other friends don't approve.

So if you think this book is too unrealistic and only good for light reading for teens, think again. The well-drawn characters will pop right out of you and take you to their world and let you see it through their eyes. They will tell you their secrets and you'll be surprised that in a novel such as this, love and friendship are still taken seriously, that in this almost perfect world, challenges will still come at you, and you, gay or straight, should learn how to deal with it. This story may be easy reading, but the values it teaches should not be taken lightly. Even parents can learn a thing or two from Paul and his friends.

This is a great read, especially if the heavy gay issues are getting too old for you. Or you're just really tired of heavy stuff. With its witty, entertaining dialogues, vivid characters, and creative settings, you'll definitely enjoy reading this, and find new friends within the story. It's not full of drama, but it does have its moments, and those moments are what makes this book shine. Sometimes, when I'm feeling a little down, I visit Paul and his friends and feel good about myself. Because as the story ends, Paul always tells me: "What a wonderful world."



8 comments:

  1. Great review! I also really, really loved this book.

    Have you tried his other novel, The Realm of Possibility? It's just as good. :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alissa: I haven't tried that one yet, I am looking for it though, every time I go to a bookstore the first thing I do is look for any book David Levithan. I have read Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List though, and I think I'll post a review of it soon.

    Brooke: No problem! I liked your blog! Thanks also for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooh this book looks AH-MAZ-ING! I can't wait to read it now! Oh and I'm your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tiffani: You definitely have to read it!

    And thanks for the follow you guys :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, just stopping by to say thanks for visiting my blog! Your blog is amazing! And this book's author is one of my favs! I'm a new follower!

    -Lulu :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by my blog for Follow Friday, Nina! Good post. This sounds like an interesting book. My younger sister is gay and it sounds like something that might be good for her for Christmas. Thanks for sharing.

    -Kaitlyn
    http://nocturnalreadings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lulu: Yes David Levithan's works are really cool! Thank you for following me :D

    Kaitlyn: Yes, it's really good, and may I also suggest The Bermudez Triangle if she has not read it before - I also did a review on that one. Thanks also for following :D

    ReplyDelete

I just have to tell you, ARGH feeds on awesomeness, so if you can, drop him some awesome here, and I promise to give some awesome back :D

Right now, because of my really busy schedule, I'm cutting back on receiving awards. So until further notice, me and ARGH would not be accepting awards. But thank you for thinking of us, we really appreciate it!